Maruti Suzuki sold over 10 Lakh automatic cars in India.

\"\"

The carmaker currently offers four automatic gearboxes across 16 models in its range.

Maruti Suzuki, the largest car manufacturer in India, has recently celebrated a significant milestone by selling more than one million cars and SUVs equipped with automatic transmissions in the country. As a result, the company asserts its position as the leading manufacturer of automatic transmission vehicles in India.

Out of the automatic Maruti vehicles sold, approximately 65 percent are equipped with Automated Manual Transmissions (AMTs). The sales distribution between Nexa and Arena dealerships stands at 58 percent and 42 percent, respectively.

For the fiscal year 2024, automatic transmissions contribute to 15 percent of all Maruti Suzuki sales. The company currently offers four distinct automatic transmission options (AMT, 4-speed torque converter, 6-speed torque converter, and e-CVT) across a range of 16 models. Among these options, AMTs account for 65 percent of sales, while torque converters make up 27 percent, and e-CVT comprises the remaining 8 percent.

Regarding the sales channels, Maruti\’s premium Nexa dealerships, which offer models such as the Grand Vitara, Baleno, and XL6, account for 58 percent of automatic sales. The remaining 42 percent of sales come from Arena dealerships, which retail models like the Alto K10, Wagon R, Swift, and Brezza, among others.

Maruti Suzuki\’s automatic transmission offerings vary by model. The entry-level option is the 5-speed AMT, found in the Alto K10, S-Presso, Celerio, Wagon R, Ignis, Swift, Dzire, Baleno, and Fronx. The 4-speed torque converter automatic is utilized in the Ciaz and Jimny, while the more recent 6-speed unit is featured in the Fronx (turbo-petrol), Ertiga, XL6, Brezza, and Grand Vitara. Additionally, the e-CVT gearbox is available in two models, the Grand Vitara and Invicto, specifically in their strong-hybrid variants.

Maruti Suzuki notes that the highest demand for automatic models is observed in regions such as Delhi and the NCR, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and Kerala. Furthermore, the company anticipates nearing one lakh automatic car sales, which would represent 15 percent of the total sales, by the end of this financial year. This reflects a clear indication of the shifting market trend towards automatic transmissions in India.

Scroll to Top